Jackfruit Nagasari is a delicious gluten-free and vegan dessert or snack made from mung bean starch and coconut milk dough mixed with pieces of sweet jackfruits.
What is Nagasari?
Nagasari is a traditional cake from Java, Indonesia. The cake is made with flour and coconut milk dough mixed with other ingredients. The cake is traditionally wrapped in banana leaves to infuse the aroma. You can also find it sold in plastic sheets nowadays to showcase what is inside.
Among the many traditional Indonesian kue basah (wet cake), nagasari is probably the most popular. It can be found throughout the country and is sold in most traditional markets. Nagasari also seems to be a mandatory snack for communal feasts or cultural events in the Java region.
Types of Flour
Nagasari is traditionally made from a mixture of rice flour and tapioca starch, but you can also make it with mung bean starch. The ones made from rice flour yield a soft and chewy texture. Meanwhile, the ones made from mung bean starch have a soft and bouncy texture, almost jelly-like.
This dessert can have a wide range of texture depending on what flour your end up using. For this Jackfruit Nagasari recipe, I use mung bean starch since I prefer the texture and it is much easier to make.
Other add-ins you can use other than jackfruits:
- Sago pearls
- Corn kernels
- Mung beans
How to Make Jackfruit Nagasari
- In a big pan, mix mung bean starch with granulated sugar, salt, vanilla extract, coconut milk, and knotted pandan leaves.
- Heat on low heat and cook until the mixture thickens while stirring constantly.
- Once the mixture thickens, turn off the heat and add the diced jackfruits.
- While the dough is still hot, spread about 2 to 3 tablespoons onto the middle of a banana leaf.
- Wrap the dough.
- The dough will harden when it is completely cooled to room temperature.
How to Wrap Nagasari With Banana Leaf
- Put a banana leaf on the working space, with the pale side up. Spread the dough into the center of the leaf.
- Fold up the right side following the grain of the leaf and bring to the center, over the dough.
- Fold the left side on top of the right side.
- Next, fold up the top side to the center.
- Fold up the bottom side to the center.
- Flip and put the folds on the bottom to secure the leaf.