Morning Glory Stir Fry is a delicious side dish that can be ready in less than 15 minutes. This simple vegetable side dish is rich in flavors and goes wonderfully with steamed rice.
Morning Glory Stir Fry is a classic Indonesian leafy green dish that goes wonderfully with steamed rice. It is a delicious, healthy, and flavorful way to get more green leafy vegetables on your dining table.
Preparations are simple and it takes just 15 minutes of cook time from start to finish. It is perfect for when you need a last-minute dinner idea or you just want to cook up something quick.
What is Morning Glory?
Morning Glory, also known as “water spinach” and “kangkung” in Indonesian, is a popular semi-aquatic vegetable in Southeast Asian countries. The vegetable is known for its tender hollow shoots and long and pointed leaves. The leaves have a very pleasant, mild, sweet flavor and the hollow stems are crunchy and great at absorbing flavor.
Ingredients You Need
Morning Glory Stir Fry is quick to cook and does not require a ton of seasonings to make it tasty. Here are the ingredients you need to make the dish:
- Morning glory or water spinach. These can be found at Asian supermarkets in bundles. Look for those with long, straight, slender stalks with vibrant to dark green leaves and stems.
- Shallots. Shallots used in Southeast Asian cuisine tend to be small with a red exterior and white interior. Unlike western shallots which tend to be larger, Indonesian shallots are small and sweeter in flavor. The individual cloves resemble garlic cloves with pointed tapered ends.
- Garlic. For aromatic flavor and aroma.
- Curly red chilis. Add a little bit of heat and color. You can also use other types of red chilis too. Remove the seeds for less heat or omit them if you are not a big fan of heat.
- Oyster sauce. Adds a salty umami flavor. Don’t skip this ingredient.
- Seasonings. Salt and sugar for taste.
How to Make Morning Glory Stir Fry
- Stir fry shallots, garlic, and curly red chilis until fragrant with a little bit of oil.
- Add morning glory and hot water. Adding hot water will help wilt the leaves quicker
- Once the morning glory is wilted, add oyster sauce, salt, and sugar. Stir until combined. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
- Serve with steamed rice and other dishes for a complete meal.