This delicious Torch Ginger Shredded Chicken is simply the most aromatic and delicious Asian chicken dish ever.
Torch Ginger Shredded Chicken or also known as “Ayam Suwir Kecombrang” is one of my favorite dishes! Shredded chicken is cooked with spices, chilis, aromatic torch ginger flowers, and drizzled with kaffir lime juice. The dish is aromatic with a complex combination of sweet, salty, spicy, and sour flavors. Simply delicious!
The Ingredients You Need
Here are what you need to make Torch Ginger Shredded Chicken:
- Chicken fillets. You can either use the thigh or breast part.
- Garlic. For aromatic flavor and aroma.
- Shallots. Shallots used in Southeast Asian cuisine tend to be small with a red exterior and white interior. Unlike western shallots which tend to be larger, Indonesian shallots are small and sweeter in flavor. The individual cloves resemble garlic cloves with pointed tapered ends.
- Lemongrass. Gives a citrus-like aroma to the dish.
- Kaffir lime leaves. Gives citrus flavor with a floral undertone.
- Galangal. It is used mainly for the aroma. It has a sweet, earthy, spicy smell with a shade of lemon and a trace of earthy pine needles.
- Curly Red Chilis. These are one of Indonesia’s local chili pepper with a medium level of spiciness. It is long in size with curly and slim form. You can reduce the number of chilis for the less spicy version. Or substitute with bird’s eye chilis if you want the dish to be spicier.
- Torch ginger. The aromatic flower buds have a unique sweet and sour, piquant flavor with citrus-forward notes.
- Lime juice. The sour taste will blend the whole flavors together and making the dish addictive.
- Seasonings. Salt, sugar, and granulated mushroom bouillon.
A lot of spices are used in the dish. But they are really the secret ingredients to get more complex flavors and aroma from the recipe.
How To Make Torch Ginger Shredded Chicken
- Boil the chicken with garlic.
- Take out the cooked chicken. Shred the chicken with your hands or forks.
- In a big frying pan, stir fry garlic and shallots with oil until fragrant.
- Add lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime leaves, and pounded chilis. Cook for a few minutes until the chilis are fully cooked.
- Add shredded chicken and thinly sliced torch gingers. Cook until the torch gingers wilt.
- Season with salt, sugar, and granulated mushroom bouillon.
- Turn off the heat and drizzle kaffir lime juice into the dish.
- Serve Torch Ginger Shredded Chicken with warm rice. Enjoy!