Bakwan Jagung or corn fritters have a crispy light golden brown exterior for a satisfying crunch and are loaded with juicy sweet corn kernels in every bite. They make a wonderful side dish and afternoon snack.
Bakwan Jagung or also known as Perkedel Jagung is an easy and simple popular Indonesian snack that you will want to make again and again. It is crispy and crunchy on the outside with bursting juicy corn kernels and deliciously savory flavor in each bite. It can be eaten as it is as a snack, or as a side dish.
What is Bakwan Jagung?
Bakwan means vegetable fritter, while jagung means corn. Bakwan Jagung is a popular snack treat and side dish in Indonesia.
- Use fresh corn for flavor and crispness. If you have a fresh ear of corn, you will get a fresher and sweeter flavor. Canned or frozen corn kernels will also work, but make sure to drain off any excess liquid and pat dry as best as you can.
- Rice flour substitutes. Rice flour makes the corn fritters crispy. You can substitute rice flour with an equal amount of tapioca starch or cornstarch.
- Spice them up. You can substitute the scallions with celery to change up the flavor. Add thinly sliced red chilis to make them a little spicy.
- No overcrowding. Fry the batter in batches of three or four in hot oil. Gently press the batter out to flatten with a spoon or spatula to help the fritters cook more evenly.
How to Make
- Grind shallots and garlic into a paste with a mortar and pestle or food processor.
- Transfer the paste into a big bowl. Add all-purpose flour, rice flour, and seasonings. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- Lightly mash the corn kernels. If using a food processor, transfer half of the corn kernels and pulse several times until coarsely chopped.
- Add the corn kernels and chopped scallions into the flour mixture. Stir to combine.
- In a large frying pan, add oil for deep-frying. Once the oil is hot, scoop a tablespoon of dough and gently spread and flatten the dough.
- Fry 2-3 minutes on each side or until both sides are golden brown and crispy. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Serve warm or at room temperature.
How to Store the Leftovers
The batter can be made up to a day in advance and stored in the fridge. You can also store the cooked corn fritters in the refrigerator for 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. If frozen, thaw first before reheating. Make sure to fry 2-3 minutes to crisp up these fritters before serving.